Tuesday 21 January 2014

Homeschooling is Freedom

I feel free, my son feels free, homeschooling is the perfect slice of freedom for both of us. The bliss of waking up in the morning and realising that we do not have to make it through that dreadful robotic school run. My son used to some days feel physically sick in the morning because he simply did not want to go to school.


Learning through day to day life 


This week we are doing a train theme. We are learning about trains, and everything we do in terms of worksheets and activities are train themed. My son is loving it, we got the train theme pack from a cool blog called http://www.mamasmonkeys.blogspot.com. The pack is free and it includes worksheets and a couple of cool games too. This week so far we have done some fun phonics work with the train theme, played the game from the pack, done train spelling and tracing, made a train painting and we have taken a train ride. We also went to the museum of childhood in East London, where we looked at retro toys, toy trains, and found out how steam trains work. We also looked into the history of superhero toys. Here are a few pictures from the museum and from our day out at the park today. 

This last pic is of a cute toy I got from the charity shop for £3. It is originally from John Lewis so I got a bargain. It can be used for motor skills, colours, counting and to learn how things work. My son had fun with it when we got back home, it kept him occupied for about 40 minutes straight.

We have had a really good, productive couple of days and we hope to go to the transport museum on Thursday. Tomorrow we plan on going to the library after his piano lesson and spending the rest of the day there reading lots and lots of books. I always find the library quite relaxing because most of the time we sit in a quiet corner and read and read until he doesn't want to read anymore. Then he goes off and has a play and I read on my own for an hour or two. 

Keep your eyes peeled for some more detailed day in the life posts. I am still trying to pull everything together and work out what activities he will be doing weekly, and what activities he will be doing sporadically. All I know is I simply cannot wait to see where this journey takes us! I am so excited to explore the world with my son ! He is a little explorer just like I am, and I know that homeschooling is the way forward for now. It might change in years to come but for now, this is the right decision. 

Peace and blessings xxx 







No comments:

Post a Comment