Monday 20 January 2014

Massive Improvements Homeschooling a 4 Year Old

Photography lesson with a 4 year old homeschooler 



I have only been homeschooling for a little under 3 weeks now and so far I have seen a massive improvement in my son's progress. He was in school for just over 3 months, in the reception class and in terms of academics, he actually did not really learn anything. I would ask him and he would tell me that he did not remember anything because the classroom was too noisy.
I generally think my son likes to learn in a quiet environment, when it comes to basic academics anyway. In terms of absorbing information from the outside world, he loves field trips and being out and about. He seems to remember everything from field trips, for example last week we went to the farmers market. I was talking to him about all the different types of fruit and the benefits of each one. He remembered everything the next day!

When I took my son out of school, he did not know any of his letters, he barely knew his numbers. I know most parents do not place much emphasis on academic achievement at such a young age. However, I believe that this is the perfect age to introduce academics in a basic and fun way. He now knows all of his letters and his numbers up to 30 in just under 3 weeks. I just introduced in a really relaxed way, and used Montessori style methods to make it easier for him to grasp. I am very impressed with how quickly he is coming along. Even his artwork looks much more interesting and creative than it did before. He seems happier, more confident in himself and constantly keeps telling me that he is a strong boy. I am so proud of my little man.

One other thing that I did want to drop into this blog post was that, myself and my son and have written a book. I have put all the information on the books page if you guys are interested in taking a look. The book is called Kyron Said...I am not Scared of Spiders. Kyron came up with the concept, he did the illustrations and he came up with about half of the written content (without actually writing it just saying it) My son is very creative, he comes up with ideas for movies and plays. He is always asking me to do acting with him, and this is something I do not think was being nurtured at school. I know that some people might say, well send him to drama class after school, or on the weekend. I personally have not had very much luck with after school activities with my son. He is exhausted by the time he finishes school and focusing on another activity just did not work for him.

I think homeschooling is perfect for my son and I think I will continue to homeschool for as long as we both enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment