Monday 13 January 2014

Homeschooling:Does Not always go According to Plan

Today started off very well, actually it ended very well too but I must admit I was anxious when the direction of the lessons started to change to something unplanned. I started with some fun phonics stuff, then some fine motor skills exercises, this turned into a two hour long science experiment. We did oil and water, salt water, and various floating and sinking experiments. I realised my son has a love for science. Now, I know that I need to focus on the basics and throw in loads of science experiments.


I am so excited to discover new and interesting ways to reach my son. I had all this stuff mapped out for the day and the lesson was basically dictated by him. This is what I am going to do from now on. I will plan stuff but if it goes in a different direction, then I am happy to go with that. I am really enjoying this journey, here are some pics from today. Also a cool pic I took in London from the cable cars. 



This is a really effective way of teaching addition. It is Montessori inspired and my son loved it. You basically take some containers and number them 1 to 10. In each contain you out the equations 1+ 0 1+2 etc etc up to 10. Then you take the amount of small objects, beads, cars , counters. I needed 10 because I only did up to 4 containers.  Then get get two containers the same, and one different as pictured. Write out plus and minus signs on small pieces of paper like below. Here is an example 1 +2 =3. For this sum you would put 1 car in the first container, and 2 in the middle container. Then you would get the child to put all cars into the third bowl and count them to get the answer. 

This is an excellent way to teach addition, my son really wasn't grasping addition in the abstract way. He really grasped it this way. If your child is struggling with addition or subtraction try this out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment